Feb. 17, 2013
SMU Season Stats
SMU vs. Sam Houston State
HUNTSVILLE, Texas (SMU) --- The SMU women's tennis team won six of the seven matches played en route to a 5-2 win at Sam Houston State on Sunday. The Mustangs took the doubles point then won in straight sets at the top four singles positions. No. 93 Edyta Cieplucha and No. 118 Aleksandra Malyarchikova dropped just two games each in winning at No. 1 and No. 2 singles, respectively.
"We played determined today and got the job done," said head coach Kati Gyulai. "It is more challenging to play without a full line up but we were good under the lights."
The Mustangs edged a victory at No. 1 doubles to earn the point as Cieplucha and Malyarchikiova won 9-8. At No. 2 doubles, Hristina Dishkova and Holly Verner had already cruised to an 8-4 triumph.
The Mustangs played without a full lineup on the second day of the back-to-back after a 6-1 win against Air Force on Saturday. The shortened lineup left SMU without a team at No. 3 doubles and No. 6 singles, which magnified the importance of the other matches.
In singles, No. 93 Cieplucha won 6-2, 6-0 at No. 1 singles and No. 118 Malyarchikova swept easily in a 6-1, 6-1 decision. Dishkova followed at No. 3 singles with a 6-1, 6-1 win. Yana Erkeeva eraned the final point, winning 6-4, 6-1 at No. 4 singles.
The Mustangs play at Texas State on Saturday.
Tennis Match Results
SMU 5, Sam Houston State 2
1. Edyta Cieplucha / Aleksandra Malyarchikova (SMU) def. Nadia Dubyanskaya/Tanya Postnikova (SHSU) 9-8
2. Hristina Dishkova / Holly Verner (SMU) def. Sheridan Currie/Natalie Petaia (SHSU) 8-4
3. Imke Jagau / Kayla Stevenson (SHSU) win by default
1. #93 Edyta Cieplucha (SMU) def. Sheridan Currie (SHSU) 6-2, 6-0
2. #118 Aleksandra Malyarchikova (SMU) def. Imke Jagau (SHSU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Hristina Dishkova (SMU) def. Natalie Petaia (SHSU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Yana Erkeeva (SMU) def. Maddie Mortimore (SHSU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Tanya Postnikova (SHSU) def. Holly Verner (SMU) 7-6, 3-6, 1-0
6. Kayla Stevenson (SHSU) def. win by default
Sam Houston State 3-3