Feb. 11, 2013
DALLAS (SMU) - The SMU women's tennis team scored a 6-1 victory against Northwestern State (2-2) on Monday. The Mustangs (2-3) won all three doubles matches to earn the first point and took five of the six singles matches; winning in straight sets in each of those singles victories.
"This is a solid win over a good team," said head coach Kati Gyulai. "Our targets were accurate in doubles when it mattered, and we were able to close out those matches to put us up 1-0. We didn't look back and kept closing out the singles matches. We have a couple of days for practice before we host Air Force."
The Mustangs won all three doubles matches for the first time this year. At No. 1, Aleksandra Malyarchikova and Vaszilisza Bulgakova recorded their first win together in the 9-7 victory. At No. 2, Edyta Cieplucha and Elena Fayner improved to 4-3 with an 8-3 result and at No. 3, Dishkova and Verner improved to 2-1 on the season with an 8-6 triumph.
In singles, Cieplucha (14-6) improved to 3-1 at No. 1 singles with a 6-3, 6-1 sweep. She led the Mustangs, which won 60 of 77 games in the five singles victories. At No. 3, Bulgakova (2-2) was pushed in the second set of her 6-1, 7-6 win. The Mustangs were even more dominant from No. 4 to No. 6 singles. Fayner cruised 6-2, 6-2 at No. 4; Dishkova won 6-0, 6-1 at No. 5; and Erkeeva claimed a 6-0, 6-2 advantage.
The Mustangs host Air Force on Saturday at 1 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Northwestern State vs SMU
Feb 11, 2013 at Dallas, Texas
SMU 6, Northwestern State 1
1. Edyta Cieplucha (SMU) def. Tatiana Larina (NWST) 6-3, 6-1
2. Polina Konop (NWST) def. Aleks Malyarchikova (SMU) 7-6, 0-6, 10-5
3. Vaszilisza Bulgakova (SMU) def. Natalya Krutova (NWST) 6-1, 7-6
4. Elena Fayner (SMU) def. Andrea Nedorostova (NWST) 6-2, 6-2
5. Hristina Dishkova (SMU) def. Amy Williams (NWST) 6-0, 6-1
6. Yana Erkeeva (SMU) def. Daniela Simonova (NWST) 6-0, 6-2
1. Vaszilisza Bulgakova / Aleks Malyarchikova (SMU) def. Tatiana Larina/Andrea Nedorostova (NWST) 9-7
2. Edyta Cieplucha / Elena Fayner (SMU) def. Polina Konop/Natalya Krutova (NWST) 8-3
3. Hristina Dishkova / Holly Verner (SMU) def. Daniela Simonova/Amy Williams (NWST) 8-6
Northwestern State 2-2