Feb. 2, 2013
BATON ROUGE, La. (SMU) --- The SMU women's tennis team won the doubles point and the top two singles spots, but fell 4-3 at No. 46 LSU on Saturday. It was the second straight day the Mustangs pushed a ranked opponent. SMU fell dropped a 4-3 decision at No. 59 Tulane on Friday.
"This is another tough loss, but we will rebound from it," said head coach Kati Gyulai. "Our problem solving skills need some sharpening. Fortunately it is early in the season and we have time to work. We conclude this challenging weekend by hosting No. 9 Alabama tomorrow."
The Mustangs (1-2) took the lead by winning the doubles point. Elena Fayner paired with Edyta Cieplucha to win 8-4 at No. 2 doubles and Holly Verner partnered with Hristina Dishkova at No. 3 doubles for an 8-7 victory.
In singles play, Aleksandra Malyarchikova won in straight sets at the No. 1 position. She topped LSU's (3-0) No. 112 Kaitlin Burns 6-4, 6-3. Cieplucha also cruised at No. 2 singles with a 6-2, 6-3 win.
SMU hosts No. 9 Alabama at the Northwood Country Club on Sunday at 12 p.m.
1. Aleksandra Malyarchikova (SMU) def. #112 Kaitlin Burns (LSU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Edyta Cieplucha (SMU) def. Mary Jeremiah (LSU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Vaszilisza Bulgakova (SMU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Ariel Morton (LSU) def. Yana Erkeeva (SMU) 0-6, 6-2, 7-5
5. Ebie Wilson (LSU) def. Elena Fayner (SMU) 3-6, 7-5, 6-3
6. Caroline Hudson (LSU) def. Hristina Dishkova (SMU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
1. Ariel Morton/Mary Jeremiah (LSU) def. Aleksandra Malyarchikova/Vaszilisza Bulgakova (SMU) 8-3
2. Elena Fayner/Edyta Cieplucha (SMU) def. Kaitlin Burns/Caroline Hudson (LSU) 8-4
3. Holly Verner/Hristina Dishkova (SMU) def. Ebie Wilson/Keri Frankenberger (LSU) 8-7 (8-6)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,2,1,6,4,5)