Oct. 20, 2011
DALLAS (SMU) - The SMU women's swimming and diving team is hosting the annual SMU Swim Classic Oct. 21-22 at Perkins Natatorium on the SMU campus. The two-day event features six nationally-ranked swim teams from six different conferences; No. 6 Texas (Big 12), No. 7 Florida (SEC), No. 11 Wisconsin (Big 10), No. 13 UVA (ACC), No. 36 SMU (C-USA) and No. 40 Louisville (BIG EAST).
"We are very excited to have such a strong field in this year's Classic," head coach Steve Collins said. "Texas has not been to the meet since 2000, and this year's field will feature many of the teams from the 2000 meet with Wisconsin, Texas and Florida. This is a great opportunity to see some of the NCAA's best swimmers and divers in a very exciting format. I would expect many of the athletes competing at the Classic to be competing in the 2012 Olympics this summer."
The SMU Classic showcases the strongest and most versatile swimmers of each program. Due to its' design, competing teams must have a representative in each race, however, squads are limited to only eight swimmers and one diver for the entire meet. The SMU Classic provides a rare opportunity to witness high-level competition in the intimate setting of Perkins Natatorium, one of the last six-lane pools in the NCAA.
Opening ceremonies commence Friday at Perkins Natatorium at 6:15p.m. The meet begins at 6:30 p.m. both Friday and Saturday.
1. A swimmer may swim three events per day, but one of those must be a relay.
2. Each team enters one swimmer per heat, and the best swimmer must be in the championship heat.
3. The total squad can only be eight swimmers and one diver.
4. There is only one championship heat for relays.
5. The consolation heat will take place before the championship heat.
6. Lane positions will rotate after each event.
7. Scoring is as follows:
- Individual: 16-13-12-11-10-9-7-5-4-3-2-1
- Relays: 24-20-18-16-14-12
Diving events will consist of 6 optional dives on 1-Meter and 3-Meter boards.
Schedule of Events
400 Medley Relay
800 Freestyle Relay
200 Medley Relay
200 Freestyle Relay