April 6, 2014
STILLWATER, Okla. (SMU) - The SMU Mustangs recorded two wins in singles play, but No. 23 Oklahoma State took the dual match over SMU by a score of 4-2 in Stillwater, Okla., on Sunday afternoon.
Alex Sanders picked up his team-leading 11th win in singles play, winning at No. 2 singles over Sebastian Sachs; 6-3, 6-4. Sanders is now 11-7 in dual matches, and the senior is 6-2 in his last eight decisions.
Freshman Arkidjas Slobodkins also won for SMU (9-11), tallying SMU's first point of the match with a quick 6-1, 6-3, win at the No. 6 spot over Chris Haworth. Haworth entered the match 13-4 in singles play this spring. Slobodkins is now 9-8 on the season, and his point tied the match at 1-1 after the Cowboys collected the doubles point.
Oklahoma State (20-3) won at No. 1 and 3 doubles and then took singles matches at positions 1, 3 and 4. The fifth singles match between Nate Lammons and Brady Bohrnstedt went unfinished after each player had taken a set.
The match marked SMU's fourth straight against a team ranked in the ITA Top 75, with three of the four being in the top 25 nationally. Next up for the Mustangs is a home match versus UT Arlington on Wednesday at 3 p.m. SMU is 6-1 at home this season. The Mustangs will conclude their regular season with a match against Rice at the Lakes Tennis Academy in Frisco, Texas, on April 13 at 1 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
SMU vs Oklahoma State
Apr 06, 2014 at Stillwater, Okla.
#23 Oklahoma State 4, SMU 2
1. #61 Jakob Sude (OSU) def. Arturs Kazijevs (SMU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Alex Sanders (SMU) def. Sebastian Sachs (OSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Arjun Kadhe (OSU) def. Mischa Nowicki (SMU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Lucas Gerch (OSU) def. Julio Olaya (SMU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Brady Bohrnstedt (OSU) vs. Nate Lammons (SMU) 3-6, 7-5, unfinished
6. Arkidjas Slobodkins (SMU) def. Chris Haworth (OSU) 6-1, 6-3
1. Jakob Sude/Arjun Kadhe (OSU) def. Mischa Nowicki/Arkidjas Slobodkins (SMU) 8-5
2. Lucas Gerch/Sebastian Sachs (OSU) vs. Nate Lammons/Alex Sanders (SMU) 5-6, unfinished
3. Chris Haworth/Brady Bohrnstedt (OSU) def. Tony Russell/Arturs Kazijevs (SMU) 8-6
Oklahoma State 20-3; National ranking #23
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (6,3,1,2,4)