March 30, 2013
DALLAS (SMU) - The SMU Mustangs defeated Oklahoma State in a tight match that went down to the wire, with Mischa Nowicki's three-set win over Richard Del Nunzio (6-2, 6-7 (3), 6-2) sealing the victory.
The Mustangs (6-7) have won three of their last four matches and six of the last nine overall.
"It was a great win for our young team," Head Coach Carl Neufeld said. "We did an awesome job in doubles to beat a team that hasn't lost a doubles match for 32 straight matches. In singles it was battle and I'm happy for Mischa (Nowicki) as he was able to pull through in the deciding match in a tough three-set battle."
The Mustangs took the doubles point with wins in the top two spots - 75th-ranked Nowicki and Arturs Kazijevs defeated Matt Campbell and Rifat Biktyakov, 8-6 and Gaston Cuadranti paired with Alex Sanders to defeat the 70th-ranked duo of Richard Del Nunzio and Denys Pume. SMU is now 17-14 overall in doubles this spring.
SMU and Oklahoma State (10-8) split the six singles matches, with No. 124 Kazijevs, Cuadranti and Nowicki all earning points. Kazijevs and Cuadranti won in straight sets. Kazijevs (8-4) has won four straight matches and Nowicki (7-6) has won his last three.
SMU will host Idaho tomorrow at 2 p.m. at the Samuell Grand Tennis Center. Admission is free.
Oklahoma State vs SMU
3/30/2013 at Dallas, Texas
SMU 4, Oklahoma State 3
1. #124 Arturs Kazijevs (SMU) def. Rifat Biktyakov (OSU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Chris Haworth (OSU) def. Alex Sanders (SMU) 6-1, 7-6 (4)
3. Gaston Cuadranti (SMU) def. Matt Campbell (OSU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Denys Pume (OSU) def. Eduardo Razzeto (SMU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Mischa Nowicki (SMU) def. Richard Del Nunzio (OSU) 6-2, 6-7 (3), 6-2
6. Brady Bohrnstedt (OSU) def. Nate Lammons (SMU) 6-1, 7-6 (6)
1. #75 Arturs Kazijevs/Mischa Nowicki (SMU) def. Matt Campbell/Rifat Biktyakov (OSU) 8-6
2. Gaston Cuadranti/Alex Sanders (SMU) def. #70 Richard Del Nunzio/Denys Pume (OSU) 8-4
3. Chris Haworth/Brady Bohrnstedt (OSU) def. Pablo Perez-Esnaola/Nate Lammons (SMU) 8-4
Oklahoma State 10-8