Mustangs Trot Past Marquette, 6-1
March 29, 2013
DALLAS (SMU) - The SMU Mustangs played an impressive match on Friday, defeating Marquette 6-1 at the Samuell Grand Tennis Center. SMU won five of six singles matches and took the doubles point on the way to victory.
The Mustangs (5-7) had 10 days to prepare for their three matches this weekend, and the preparation certainly helped propel SMU to victory.
"We had a great week of practice and this was a good win over a feisty Marquette team," Head Coach Carl Neufeld said. "It's good to see the team improving steadily."
Newly-ranked at 124th in the nation, Arturs Kazijevs defeated Dan Mamalat, 6-4, 3-6, 10-1. Gaston Cuadranti, Eduardo Razzeto, Mischa Nowicki and Nate Lammons all took singles victories for the Mustangs. Razzeto, Nowicki and Lammons all won in straight sets. Cuadranti earned his first singles victory of the spring after fighting injuries during the season.
Vukasin Teofanovic scored the Golden Eagles' lone point in a 6-3, 5-7 (10-2) victory over Pablo Perez-Esnaola.
The Mustangs took two of three doubles matches, including an 8-6 victory for No. 75 Kazijevs and Nowicki over Teofanovic and his partner, Dan Mamalat.
The Mustangs will challenge Oklahoma State on tomorrow at noon at the Samuell Grand Tennis Center. Oklahoma State is 10-7 on the season.
Marquette vs SMU
SMU 6, Marquette 1
1. #124 Arturs Kazijevs (SMU) def. Dan Mamalat (MU) 6-4, 3-6, 10-1
2. Vukasin Teofanovic (MU) def. Pablo Perez-Esnaola (SMU) 6-3, 5-7, 10-2
3. Gaston Cuadranti (SMU) def. Logon Collins (MU) 4-6, 6-2, 10-5
4. Eduardo Razzeto (SMU) def. Cameron Tehrani (MU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Mischa Nowicki (SMU) def. Gleb Sklyr (MU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Nate Lammons (SMU) def. David Packowitz (MU) 6-2, 6-1