March 22, 2014
WACO, Texas (SMU) - The SMU Mustangs took two singles matches to three sets, but ultimately fell to the fifth-ranked Baylor Bears, 7-0, in Waco, Texas on Saturday afternoon.
Alex Sanders took No. 31 Diego Galeano to three sets at No. 3 singles. The SMU (9-9) senior dropped the first set, 6-7 (5), but bounced back to win the next frame 7-6 (5). Galeano, who entered the day 7-1 at No. 3 singles for the season, won the third set, 12-10.
SMU's Nate Lammons played to three sets at No. 6 singles against Vince Schneider after dropping the first set, 1-6. Lammons rebounded to win the second set, 6-3, but Schneider won the point after winning set three, 7-6 (5). Four of Baylor's singles players are ranked in the ITA national rankings.
Baylor (13-4) won at No. 1 and 3 doubles to clinch the opening point of the day.
The Mustangs will return to action against metroplex rival TCU on Tuesday, April 1, in Fort Worth, Texas. For more information and updates on SMU men's tennis, follow @SMUTennisM on Twitter.
Tennis Match Results
SMU vs Baylor
Mar 22, 2014 at Waco, Texas
#5 Baylor 7, SMU 0
1. #8 Julian Lenz (BU) def. Arturs Kazijevs (SMU) 6-2, 6-3
2. #15 Patrick Pradella (BU) def. Mischa Nowicki (SMU) 6-2, 6-2
3. #31 Diego Galeano (BU) def. Alex Sanders (SMU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-7 (5-7), 12-10
4. Mate Zsiga (BU) def. Arkidjas Slobodkins (SMU) 6-1, 6-1
5. #104 Michel Dornbusch (BU) def. Julio Olaya (SMU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Vince Schneider (BU) def. Nate Lammons (SMU) 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (7-5)
1. Patrick Pradella/Mate Zsiga (BU) def. Mischa Nowicki/Arkidjas Slobodkins (SMU) 8-3
2. Diego Galeano/Tony Lupieri (BU) vs. Alex Sanders/Nate Lammons (SMU) unfinished
3. Julian Lenz/Michel Dornbusch (BU) def. Arturs Kazijevs/Tony Russell (SMU) 8-1
Baylor 13-4; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (4,2,5,1,3,6)