March 10, 2014
DALLAS (SMU) - The SMU Mustangs topped the Cleveland State Vikings, 6-1, to remain undefeated at home this season at the Bent Tree Country Club on Monday.
SMU (8-7) swept through doubles, with Mischa Nowicki and Arkidjas Slobodkins teaming up to take the No. 1 doubles match 8-3, and the tandem of Alex Sanders and Nate Lammons winning 8-4 at No. 2. Sanders and Lammons are now 5-4 this spring and 15-7 for the 2013-14 season.
The Mustangs then won five of six singles matches in straight sets. Sanders won his second straight match at No. 1 over Jorg Van Der Vloet, 6-3, 6-1. Lammons won at No. 3 over Ali Shabib, 6-1, 6-1, to earn his fifth straight win. Slobodkins topped Manuel Bellutti 7-5, 6-4; Tony Russell defeated Nolan Marks at No. 5, 6-3, 7-5 and Julio Olaya beat Matt Ford 6-1, 6-2. Both Sanders and Lammons picked up their eighth dual match victories and 13th wins overall.
Cleveland State (8-6) had not lost in four weeks, and SMU head coach Carl Neufeld was proud of his team's effort against a strong Vikings program.
"We played well," Neufeld said. "They'd won seven in a row, and anytime you can do that you're a good team. It's a good win for us."
Next up for the Mustangs is a home match on Sunday versus Portland at 10 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Cleveland State vs SMU
Mar 10, 2014 at Dallas, Texas
SMU 6, Cleveland State 1
1. Alex Sanders (SMU) def. VAN DER VLOET, Jorg (CSU) 6-3, 6-1
2. KUELKER, Matt (CSU) def. Mischa Nowicki (SMU) 7-5, 6-4
3. Nate Lammons (SMU) def. SHABIB, Ali (CSU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Arkidjas Slobodkins (SMU) def. BELLUTTI, Manuel (CSU) 7-5, 6-4
5. Tony Russell (SMU) def. MARKS, Nolan (CSU) 6-3, 7-5
6. Julio Olaya (SMU) def. FORD, Matt (CSU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Mischa Nowicki/Arkidjas Slobodkins (SMU) def. VANMETER, Joe/SHABIB, Ali (CSU) 8-3
2. Alex Sanders/Nate Lammons (SMU) def. KUELKER, Matt/MARKS, Nolan (CSU) 8-4
3. Julio Olaya/Tony Russell (SMU) vs. VAN DER VLOET, Jorg/BELLUTTI, Manuel (CSU) unfinished
Cleveland State 8-6