March 7, 2014
DALLAS (SMU) - The SMU Mustangs swept Nicholls State, 4-0, to continue their strong play at home on a windy day at the Bent Tree Country Club on Friday afternoon. The Mustangs will continue their homestand with a match versus Cleveland State on Sunday at 11 a.m.
SMU (7-7) won the first two doubles matches to get started, with the Mustangs winning at No. 2 by default and with Tony Russell and Julio Olaya teaming up to top Kieran Cronin and Lukas Clemens at No. 3 by a score of 8-6.
The Mustangs then won the first three singles matches in straight sets to clinch the win. Alex Sanders won at No. 1 singles over Clemens, 6-2, 6-1; Russell defeated Sam Meessen at No. 5, 6-0, 6-2; and Nate Lammons won at No. 4 over Bernard Wezeman, 6-3, 6-3.
Russell played notably well all afternoon, and SMU head coach Carl Neufeld took notice.
"He's come on very strong," Neufeld said of Russell. "He plays incredibly focused and he's really developed into one of our leaders on the team as a redshirt freshman. It's amazing; opportunity meets ability and he's getting a lot of great leadership qualities and he's showing it."
Russell is now 2-2 in dual matches this spring, while Lammons improved to 3-1 at No. 4 singles and 7-4 overall. Sanders is now 7-6 overall after picking up his first win at the No. 1 spot this season. With their doubles win, Russell and Olaya collected their first victory as a tandem. SMU is now 4-0 in Dallas this season.
The Mustangs will return to the Bent Tree Country Club to play the Cleveland State Vikings on Sunday at 11 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Nicholls vs SMU
Mar 07, 2014 at Dallas, Texas
SMU 4, Nicholls 0
1. Alex Sanders (SMU) def. Lukas Clemens (NICM) 6-2, 6-1
2. Mischa Nowicki (SMU) vs. Partha Adavelly (NICM) unfinished
3. Arkidjas Slobodkins (SMU) vs. #82 Nico Mertens (NICM) unfinished
4. Nate Lammons (SMU) def. Bernard Wezeman (NICM) 6-3, 6-3
5. Tony Russell (SMU) def. Sam Meessen (NICM) 6-0, 6-2
6. Julio Olaya (SMU) vs. Evan Karatzas (NICM) unfinished
1. Arturs Kazijevs/Mischa Nowicki (SMU) vs. Sam Meessen/Evan Karatzas (NICM) unfinished
2. Alex Sanders/Nate Lammons (SMU) def. Nico Mertens/Partha Adavelly (NICM), 4-1, def
3. Tony Russell/Julio Olaya (SMU) def. Kieran Cronin/Lukas Clemens (NICM) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (1,5,4)