March 4, 2014
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (SMU) - The SMU Mustangs dropped a tight match for third place against top-seeded Louisiana-Lafayette, 4-3, at the HEB Tournament of Champions on Saturday at the HEB Tennis Center.
The match began with singles play, where SMU (6-7) played with just five participants and dropped No. 6 singles by default. SMU won three of the remaining five matches, with Arturs Kazijevs winning at No. 1, Nate Lammons winning his third straight singles match at No. 4, and Julio Olaya coming from behind to win at No. 5 in three sets.
Louisiana-Lafayette was able to seal the win with victories at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles, with the No. 1 match involving Kazijevs and Mischa Nowicki going unfinished.
SMU will host Nicholls State at 2 p.m. on Friday in its first home match since Feb. 9. For more information and news regarding SMU tennis, follow @SMUTennisM on Twitter.
Tennis Match Results
Louisiana-Lafayette vs SMU
Mar 02, 2014 at Corpus Christi, Texas
Louisiana-Lafayette 4, SMU 3
1. Arturs Kazijevs (SMU) def. Jake Wynan (ULL) 6-4, 6-2
2. Rick de Groot (ULL) def. Mischa Nowicki (SMU) 6-4, 6-0
3. Edgar Lopez (ULL) def. Alex Sanders (SMU) 6-4, 7-6
4. Nate Lammons (SMU) def. Damian Farinola (ULL) 6-2, 7-5
5. Julio Olaya (SMU) def. Jarred Wynan (ULL) 6-7, 6-4, 7-6
6. Hunter Johnson (ULL) def. No player (SMU), by default
1. Arturs Kazijevs/Mischa Nowicki (SMU) vs. Yates Johnson/Hunter Johnson (ULL) unfinished
2. Jake Wynan/Rick de Groot (ULL) def. Nate Lammons/Alex Sanders (SMU) 8-5
3. Edgar Lopez/Damian Farinola (ULL) def. Tony Russell/Julio Olaya (SMU) 8-6