March 3, 2013
DALLAS (SMU) - The SMU Mustangs beat Tulane 4-3 on Sunday in a hard-fought match that went down to the final singles bout. Nate Lammons defeated Takuma Ohashi 7-6; 6-3 to clinch victory for SMU.
SMU has now won three of its last four matches.
The Mustangs got a jump on the Green Wave by securing the doubles point quickly. The duo of Alex Sanders and Gaston Cuadranti won their doubles match 8-5, and Lammons paired with Pablo Perez-Esnaola to win theirs 9-7.
In singles, Arturs Kazijevs won from the No. 1 spot, 6-1; 6-1. Kazijevs lost the first game of the first set, but took control from there on out. Mischa Nowicki won from the No. 5 position, 6-3; 7-5 to improve his season record to 4-4.
"It was a fun match," Head Coach Carl Neufeld said. "It's nice to win a 4-3 match. It came right down to the wire, and Lammons did a great job under pressure."
Cuadranti started the spring season as the Mustangs' No. 2 singles player, but injuries have sidelined the Argentinian lately. Although he lost his singles match, Neufeld is excited about his progress and his return.
"It's great to get him back on the court," Neufeld said.
SMU will hit the court next on Sunday at Tulsa. The Mustangs then return home for a Tuesday afternoon meeting with Radford.
Tulane vs SMU
3/3/2013 at Dallas, Texas
SMU 4, #70 Tulane 3
1. Arturs Kazijevs (SMU) def. Joe Young (TLN) 6-1, 6-1
2. Idan Mark (TLN) def. Pablo Perez-Esnaola (SMU) 6-1, 7-5
3. Dominik Koepfer (TLN) def. Alex Sanders (SMU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Rodrigo Rappaccioli (TLN) def. Gaston Cuadranti (SMU) 7-6, 6-1
5. Mischa Nowicki (SMU) def. Alex Van Cott (TLN) 6-3, 7-5
6. Nate Lammons (SMU) def. Takuma Ohashi (TLN) 7-6, 6-3
1. Arturs Kazijevs/Mischa Nowicki (SMU) vs. Idan Mark/Dominik Koepfer (TLN) 6-5, unfinished
2. Gaston Cuadranti/Alex Sanders (SMU) def. Alex Van Cott/Rodrigo Rappaccioli (TLN) 8-5
3. Pablo Perez-Esnaola/Nate Lammons (SMU) def. Ian Van Cott/Joe Young (TLN) 9-7
Tulane 4-4; National ranking #70