Feb. 8, 2014
DALLAS (SMU) - The SMU Mustangs cruised to a 7-0 win over Abilene Christian on Saturday afternoon, sweeping all six singles matches and all three doubles matches on their way to their fourth win of the spring. SMU is now 4-3 on the season.
The Mustangs quickly took the doubles point, with Mischa Nowicki and Arturs Kazijevs winning 6-1 in the No. 1 spot and Alex Sanders and Nate Lammons winning 6-0 at the second position. Arkidjas Slobodkins and Tony Russell also picked up their first win as a pair, winning the third doubles match 6-4.
SMU won five singles matches in straight sets, with only Lammons at No. 6 going to a third frame. Lammons rebounded from a tiebreaker loss in the second set to win the third 6-0. Slobodkins won his fifth straight match, while seniors Nowicki and Sanders cruised at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions respectively.
"It was a very good win," SMU Head Coach Carl Neufeld said. "I was excited about all the guys playing well today, especially the seniors. The freshmen are making continual gains. It's good to have a match where literally everyone took a step forward."
SMU will look to continue its strong play as it hosts UT-Pan American tomorrow at the Bent Tree Country Club at 1 p.m. CST.
Tennis Match Results
Abilene Christian vs SMU
Feb 08, 2014 at Dallas, Texas
SMU 7, Abilene Christian 0
1. #73 Arturs Kazijevs (SMU) def. Borja Cortés (ACU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Mischa Nowicki (SMU) def. Nicklas Wingord (ACU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Alex Sanders (SMU) def. Guilherme Gesser (ACU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Tony Russell (SMU) def. Jason Proctor (ACU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Arkidjas Slobodkins (SMU) def. Nico Agritelley (ACU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Nate Lammons (SMU) def. Marco Bensley (ACU) 6-2, 6-7, 6-0
1. Mischa Nowicki/Arturs Kazijevs (SMU) def. Borja Cortés/Nicklas Wingord (ACU) 6-1
2. #8 Alex Sanders/Nate Lammons (SMU) def. Guilherme Gesser/Nico Agritelley (ACU) 6-0
3. Arkidjas Slobodkins/Tony Russell (SMU) def. Jason Proctor/Michael Morris (ACU) 6-3
Abilene Christian 4-5