Mustangs Fall To No. 20 Texas In Opener, 7-0
Jan. 11, 2014
AUSTIN, Texas (SMU) - Nate Lammons and Alex Sanders continued their strong doubles play from the fall, topping No. 35 David Holiner and Nick Naumann, 6-3. No. 20 Texas proved to be too strong over the course of the day, however, beating SMU, 7-0, in Austin, Texas, on Saturday evening.
SMU (0-1) nearly took the doubles point for the second straight year at Texas, with the third match going to a tiebreaker. Ultimately, No. 55 Jacoby Lewis and George Goldhoff of Texas defeated Tony Russell and Arkidjas Slobodkins, 6-5 (7-1).
"We played a good doubles point and it came down to a tiebreaker," SMU Head Coach Carl Neufeld said. "Texas is a very good team. In singles I'm proud of the way we competed and I look forward to seeing this group continue their development."
The Longhorns (1-0) swept all the singles matches on Saturday, with only one advancing beyond two sets. Slobodkins, making his SMU debut, took Holiner to a third set, but ultimately fell, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3.
SMU will head to Tulsa, Okla., for two matches next Sunday and Monday. The Mustangs will face Illinois State on Sunday at 8 a.m. CT, and No. 30 Drake on Monday at 10 a.m.
Doubles (Order of finish: 1,2,3*)
Singles (Order of finish: 5,1,2*,4,3,6)
1. No. 75 Soren Hess-Olsen (Texas) def. Arturs Kazijevs (SMU) 6-1, 6-1
2. No. 35 Lloyd Glasspool (Texas) def. Alex Sanders (SMU) 6-3, 6-2
3. No. 55 George Goldhoff (Texas) def. Mischa Nowicki (SMU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Adrien Berkowicz (Texas) def. Nate Lammons (SMU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Nick Naumann (Texas) def. Julio Olaya (SMu) 6-0, 6-3
6. David Holiner (Texas) def. Arkidjas Slobodkins (SMU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3