Jan. 11, 2012
DALLAS (SMU) - The SMU men's swimming and diving team is hosting The Classic @ SMU Jan. 13-14 at Perkins Natatorium on the SMU campus. The highly-competitive meet features SMU, #4 Michigan, #5 USC , #13 Florida, #16 North Carolina and #20 Purdue.
"For 28 years, this meet has showcased the best swimmers in collegiate swimming, and this year will be no different," head coach Eddie Sinnott said. "All teams are coming off of a hard training phase, and the atmosphere at `The Nat' always seems to bring out the best in the athletes. We are looking forward to two nights of great racing."
The Classic @ SMU showcases the strongest and most versatile swimmers of each program. Due to its design, competing teams must have a representative in each race, however, squads are limited to only eight swimmers and one diver for the entire meet. The Classic @ SMU provides an opportunity to witness high-level competition in the intimate setting of Perkins Natatorium.
Opening ceremonies commence Friday at Perkins Natatorium at 7:15p.m. The meet begins at 7:30 p.m. both Friday and Saturday.
1. A swimmer may swim three events per day, but one of those must be a relay.
2. Each team enters one swimmer per heat, and the best swimmer must be in the championship heat.
3. The total squad can only be eight swimmers and one diver.
4. There is only one championship heat for relays.
5. The consolation heat will take place before the championship heat.
6. Lane positions will rotate after each event.
7. Scoring is as follows:
- Individual: 16-13-12-11-10-9-7-5-4-3-2-1
- Relays: 24-20-18-16-14-12
Diving events will consist of 6 optional dives on 1-Meter and 3-Meter boards.
Schedule of Events
400 Medley Relay
800 Freestyle Relay
200 Medley Relay
200 Freestyle Relay