Mustangs Set For Sheraton Hawaii Bowl
Dec. 18, 2012
SHERATON HAWAI`I BOWL
SMU Mustangs (6-6, 5-3 C-USA) vs. [RV/RV] Fresno State Bulldogs (9-3, 7-1 MW)
Monday, December 24, 2012 - 7 p.m. CT/3 p.m. HT
Hawaiian Airlines Field at Aloha Stadium (50,000)
ESPN/ESPN.com/SMU Radio Network/SMUMustangs.com
Setting The Scene
• Playing in a school-record fourth consecutive bowl game, SMU takes on former Western Athletic Conference-mate Fresno State in the Sheraton Hawai`i Bowl on Christmas Eve in Honolulu.
• This marks SMU’s third bowl game in Hawaii, with the Mustangs going 2-0 in the previous games (1984 Aloha Bowl - SMU 27, Notre Dame 20; 2009 Sheraton Hawai`i Bowl - SMU 45, Nevada 10).
• The Mustangs will be playing for their third bowl championship in four seasons, having won the 2009 Sheraton Hawai`i Bowl and the 2012 BBVA Compass Bowl.
• Over the past two-plus seasons, SMU is 14-0 when scoring first but 0-13 when the opponent scores first.
• Three-time All-C-USA performer and 2012 C-USA Offensive Player of the Year Zach Line puts the "run" in SMU’s Run & Shoot. Line has totaled 4,114 yards and 46 rushing TDs in his career, both of which rank in the top six among active players. His career rushing total is second-best in school history, trailing only Eric Dickerson. He has been a model of consistency, rushing for 80 or more yards in 32 of 36 games since becoming the feature back in 2010. His 20 career 100-yard games rank fourth among active players. He has surpassed the 1,000-yard markfor the third time and is just the second Mustang and the fourth player in C-USA history to reach that plateau in at least three seasons.
• SMU is tied for the national lead in pick-sixes (6) and is tied for third in the nation in total takeaways (33). The Mustangs are also tied for sixth in interceptions (19) and for third in fumble recoveries for TDs (3).
About The Bulldogs
• Co-Champions of the Mountain West and winners of five straight, the Bulldogs enter the game at 9-3 and receiving votes in both the AP and USA Today polls. Fresno State ranks in the top 20 nationally in both total offense (14) and total defense (19). The Bulldog offense is led by the prolific trio of quarterback Derek Carr (312 ypg/36 TDs), back Robbie Rouse (122 ypg) and wide receiver Davante Adams (97 ypg).
• SMU and Fresno State met six times from 1999-2004 as members of the WAC, with the Bulldogs owning a 5-1 series edge. SMU’s lone win came back in the series opener in 1999, as the Mustangs posted a 24-14 win in Dallas.
• June Jones is in his fifth season at the SMU helm. His SMU record is 30-34 and his career mark is now 106-75. Jones led SMU to back-to-back Conference USA Western Division Championships in 2009 and 2010, and has led the Mustangs to four straight bowl berths. Jones went 76-41 in nine seasons at Hawaii, leading the Warriors to the All-State Sugar Bowl following the 2007 season. Prior to heading to Hawaii, Jones had a 12-year coaching career in the NFL, including head coaching stops at Atlanta and San Diego.
• Jones is coaching in his sixth Hawai`i Bowl with a record of 4-1 in his previous five appearances. He enters the 2012 game having won his last four Hawai`i Bowls.
• Jones is 6-3 all-time against the Bulldogs, with all nine meetings coming while he served as Hawaii’s head coach.
• Fresno State’s Tim DeRuyter is in his first season as a head coach but boasts 22 years of coaching experience, including 16 seasons as a defensive coordinator. He spent the past two seasons as the assistant head coach/defensive coordinator at Texas A&M and served as the interim head coach for the Aggies in the 2011 Meineke Car Care Bowl, leading A&M to a 33-22 over Northwestern.
• ESPN will air the game live nationally. Carter Blackburn (PBP), Kelly Stouffer (analyst) and Kaylee Hartung (sideline) will call the game.
• ESPN will also stream the game here
• Rich Phillips (PBP), John Hampton (analyst) and Brian Bischoff (sidelines) will call the action on KTCK 1310 AMin Dallas beginning at 6 p.m. CT.
• ESPN Radio will also air the game on its network, with Marc Kestecher (PBP) and Pete Najarian (analyst) on the call.
• SMUMustangs.com will stream game audio and stats.
Full Game Notes - Here
Gameday Central - Here