Oct. 1, 2012
SMU Mustangs (1-3, 0-0 C-USA) at UTEP Miners (1-4, 0-1 C-USA)
Saturday, October 6, 2012 - 7 P.M. CT
Sun Bowl (51,500) - El Paso, Texas
Time Warner Cable SportsChannel/SMU Radio Network/SMUMustangs.com
The Last Meeting
September 10, 2011
Mustangs Down UTEP 28-17
Zach Line rushed for 114 yards and two touchdowns and J.J. McDermott was a winner in his first start at quarterback for SMU in a 28-17 victory against UTEP on Saturday night. The Mustangs are back in action next Saturday, Sept. 17 when they host Northwestern State at 7 p.m.
Setting The Scene
• SMU kicks off its final Conference USA slate with a trip to El Paso to take on the UTEP Miners. The Mustangs have won three straight C-USA openers and have tied for the C-USA Western Division championship in two of the last three seasons.
• Zach Line puts the "run" in SMU's Run & Shoot. Line has posted 100-yard games against Baylor and Texas A&M in 2012, and his 17 career 100-yard games rank second in SMU history to only Eric Dickerson and third among active players. He has totaled 3,250 yards and 37 rushing TDs in his career, both of which rank in the top five among active players.
• SMU is 17-7 in Conference USA games since the start of the 2009 season (6-2, 6-2, 5-3).
• The SMU defense enters the game on the heels of a solid performance against No. 15 TCU, holding the Horned Frogs to just 156 yards of total offense. It was the fewest yards for a TCU team since 1997, as the Mustangs limited the Frogs to just 2.1 yards per play.
• Located in the nation's fifth-largest media market, SMU boasts an impressive resume with 143 Conference Championships, 147 NCAA top-10 finishes, eight NCAA team championships (three in football), over 100 individual NCAA championships, hundreds of All-Americans and one Heisman Trophy Winner. SMU has won its conference's Director's Cup in 11 out of the past 15 years. SMU is one of just 20 schools that has both a Heisman Trophy winner and multiple national championships.
• SMU is in the midst of its Centennial Celebration, commemorating the 100th anniversary of the University's founding and opening. January 1, 2011, was designated as the start of the celebration period, running through 2015. SMU was founded in 1911 and opened in 1915.
About The Miners
• UTEP enters the game at just 1-4, but, like the Mustangs, played a very challenging non-conference slate, facing Big 12, SEC and Big Ten opponents. They are led by wide receiver Michael Edwards, who notched 130 yards against ECU in their C-USA opener last weekend. Edwards is tied for second in the league in receiving yards per game and ranks third in punt returns.
• SMU holds an 11-8 series advantage, but UTEP has won six of the last nine meetings. The Miners hold a 6-4 advantage in games played in El Paso and a 6-1 edge in the last seven games played at the Sun Bowl. SMU's last win in El Paso came back on Nov. 16, 2002, when the Mustangs prevailed 42-35, as Cody Cardwell returned a punt 66 yards for a touchdown with just 1:22 remaining in the game.
• June Jones is in his fifth season at the SMU helm. His SMU record is 25-31 and his career mark is now 101-72. Jones led SMU to back-to-back Conference USA Western Division Championships in 2009 and 2010, and has led the Mustangs to three straight bowl berths. Jones went 76-41 in nine seasons at Hawaii, leading the Warriors to the All-State Sugar Bowl following the 2007 season. Prior to heading to Hawaii, Jones had a 12-year coaching career in the NFL, including head coaching stops at Atlanta and San Diego.
• Mike Price is in his ninth season at the helm of the UTEP football program and his 31st as a head coach. Price has compiled a 46-56 mark in El Paso and a 175-178 overall coaching record in a career that has taken him to Weber State, Washington State and UTEP.
• Time Warner Cable SportsChannel will air the game live to subscribers in the Lone Star State. Pete Stein, Neal Raphael and Crystal Dominguez will call the game.
• Rich Phillips (PBP), John Hampton (color) and Brian Bischoff (sidelines) will call the action on KTCK 1310 AMin Dallas beginning at 6:30 p.m. CT.
• SMUMustangs.com will stream game audio and stats.
For a full notes package, click here.