March 13, 2013
TULSA, Okla. (AP) -- Jordan Swing scored 17 points, including a layup with 9 seconds to play, and UAB beat SMU 53-52 in the opener of the Conference USA tournament on Wednesday.
Swing had a team-high nine rebounds and was 7 of 13 from the field for the game. Rod Rucker had 11 points.
UAB was up 32-23 at halftime and led until Brian Bernardi hit two free throws to put the Mustangs up 52-51 with 29 seconds remaining. Swing's layup put the Blazers (16-16) back on top. No. 10 seed SMU missed a jumper with a second to play.
Jalen Jones led SMU (15-17) with 13 points and 10 rebounds. Cannen Cunningham had 11 points. The Mustangs held UAB to 35.4% shooting for the contest, the 15th time this year SMU held its opponent under 40% shooting for a game.
Jones ended the season just the fifth player in Mustang history to record atleast 700 career points and 350 career rebounds after their sophomore season. Jones will enter the 2013-14 season with 705 career points and 351 career rebounds.
No. 7 seed UAB will play No. 2 seed Southern Mississippi on Thursday in the quarterfinals.
Head coach Larry Brown, who is the only coach to win an NCAA and NBA title, ends his first season at SMU with a 15-17 record. The 15 wins are the second most wins for a first-year head coach in SMU history.
SMU Postgame Notes - March 13, 2013
# 7 UAB 53, #10 SMU 52
UAB (16-16), SMU (15-17)
BOK Center (17,839)
UAB advances to play #2 Southern Miss
Nick Russell had game-winning jumper blocked with 2 seconds left
Facebook - /SMUMustangs, /SMUBasketball
Twitter - @SMUMustangs, @SMUBasketball, @LarryBrownSMU, #PonyUp
- SMU held UAB to 35.4% (17-48) shooting
- Mustangs have held opponents below 40% FGs 15 times this season.
- Mustangs came into the game leading the C-USA in FG% defense (39.7%)
- First time holding opponents below 40% for a season since 1961-62 (38.0%)
- Brown's Mustangs have won 15 games in 2012-13
- 2nd most for a first-year SMU Head Coach all-time
- Most = 1975-76 - Sonny Allen - 16-12
- Mustangs forced 17 turnovers
- 14th time this season SMU has forced at least 15 turnovers
- SMU all-time record vs. UAB - 2-9
- Larry Brown is:
- 1668-1209 career record (includes NBA, ABA, USA Basketball and NCAA)
- 192-78 in NCAA
- 15-17 at SMU
Brian Bernardi (#22 - G - 6-2 - Fr.)
- 8 points, 3 rebounds, 2 steals
- Hit 2 FTs to give Mustangs 52-51 lead with 29.2 seconds left
Cannen Cunningham (#15 - C - 6-10 - So.)
- 11 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals
- 16th game scoring in double-digits
- 1 block
- Now has 59 blocks on the season - tied for 9th in a single season in SMU history
- Has 77 career blocks, 10th all-time at SMU
Jalen Jones (#21 - G - 6-7 - So.)
- 13 points, 10 rebounds (5 offensive rebs)
- 9th double-double of 2012-13
- 2 blocks
- 1 steal
- Fouled out with 5:15 left
JONES ON THE SOPHOMORE CHARTS:
Jalen Jones has become the seventh Mustang to have posted at least 700 points and the seventh to have at least 350 rebounds after his sophomore season. He has also become just the fifth player to accomplish both feats.
Ryan Manuel (#1 - G - 6-4 - So.)
- 5 points, 7 rebounds, 3 steals
Nick Russell (#12 - G - 6-4 - Jr.)
- 8 points, 3 assists, 4 steals, 2 rebounds
- 6-6 FTs
- Missed jumper to take lead with 43 seconds left
- Had game-winning jumper blocked with 2 seconds left
Shawn Williams (#2 - F - 6-7 - Jr.)
- 7 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks