Feb. 6, 2013
DALLAS (AP)-- Geron Johnson scored 19 points including a 5 for 9 performance from beyond the arc and grabbed seven rebounds to lead Memphis past SMU 60-52 on Wednesday night.
Memphis (19-3, 8-0 C-USA) grabbed its 13th straight victory despite shooting a dismal 29.8 percent from the field. The Tigers hit seven 3-pointers and were 25 of 34 from the free-throw line as a team.
SMU (12-12, 2-7) was 1 of 12 from three-point land, shot 31.1 percent from the floor overall and outscored the Tigers 26-12 in the paint.
Adonis Thomas scored 14 points and pulled nine rebounds for Memphis, which hasn't lost a game since the 87-78 loss to Louisville on Dec. 15.
Joe Jackson chipped in with seven points, seven rebounds and three assists for the Tigers.
Nick Russell led SMU with 17 points, Jalen Jones had 13 points and 15 rebounds and Ryan Manuelhad 10 points and seven rebounds. The game was played before a season-high crowd of 5,170 at Moody Coliseum.
SMU is back in action Saturday, Feb. 9 when they travel to Houston, Texas to take on Rice. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. Live video, live audio and live stats are available at smumustangs.com.
SMU Postgame Notes - Feb. 6, 2013
Memphis 60, SMU 52
Memphis (19-3, 8-0 C-USA), SMU (12-12, 2-7 C-USA)
Moody Coliseum (8,000)
Facebook - /SMUMustangs, /SMUBasketball
Twitter - @SMUMustangs, @SMUBasketball, @LarryBrownSMU, #PonyUp
SMU visits Rice - Saturday, Feb. 9 - 7 p.m. - Tudor Fieldhouse (5,208)
Audio: KAAM 770 AM
- SMU all-time record vs. Memphis - 3-11
- Larry Brown is:
- 1665-1204 career record (includes NBA, ABA, USA Basketball and NCAA)
- 189-73 in NCAA
- 12-12 at SMU
- Attendance = 5,170 - season high
- SMU had _9 blocks - 2nd most in a C-USA game in school history
- Mustangs had 11 turnovers - 2nd lowest total of season
- Mustangs had 15 2nd chance points (Memphis had 6)
Cannen Cunningham (#15 - C - 6-10 - So.)
- 6 blocks - career high - most since Papa Dia had 6 at Tulsa (1/26/11)
- 8th highest total in SMU history, T-2nd most during C-USA play
- 6 points, 7 rebounds
Jalen Jones (#21 - G - 6-7 - So.)
- 13 points, 15 rebounds
- 7th double-double of the season
- 7th game with 10+ rebounds
- 15 rebounds is his 2nd highest total of his career (had 16 vs. Utah - 11/28)
- 7 offensive rebounds - 4th game with 7+ offensive rebs
- Has scored in double-digits in all but 3 games this season
Ryan Manuel (#1 - G - 6-4 - So.)
- 10 points
- 4-4 FTs
- Has 133 FTMs on the season, needs 4 FTMs to tie for 2nd place all-time for sophomores at SMU
- Would pass Jim Krebs (137 FTMs in 1954-55)
- 7 rebounds
- 3 steals
Nick Russell (#12 - G - 6-4 - Jr.) - 17 points
- Has scored in double-digits in 20 of 24 games this season
- 10th straight game with 10+ points
- 1st Mustang to do so since Robert Nyakundi - 11/15/11 - 12/28/11(10 games)
- Russell's streak started 1/2 vs. Wyoming
- 7-24 FGs - 4th game this season with 20+ FGAs - career high FGAs