DALLAS (AP) - Jherrod Stiggers scored the first 6 points in overtime for Houston, including a 3-pointer, and the Cougars went on to record an 84-80 victory over SMU on Saturday. The Mustangs forced overtime after Shawn Williams hit a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to tie the game at 71-71.
Joseph Young led the way for Houston (14-7, 3-5 Conference USA) with 17 points. Stiggers had 16 off the bench, including 4 of 7 from 3-point range. TaShawn Thomas scored 15 points, J.J. Thomson scored 13 and Danuel House scored 10.
Nick Russell scored 22 points for SMU (12-11, 2-6) and Jalen Jones added 21. Ryan Manuel scored 15 points and handed out a career-high 10 assists against just one turnover.
The Mustangs had 22 assists on 27 field goals. Russell had five assists in addition to the game-high 10 by Manuel.
SMU hosts C-USA-leading Memphis on Wednesday at Moody Coliseum at 7 p.m.
Jalen Jones (#21 - G - 6-7 - So.)
- 21 points
o 8th straight game with 10+ points
o 7th game with 20+ points
o 10+ points in all but three games this season
- 8 rebounds
- 3 assists
- 9th game with at least 15 points and 7 rebounds
- _8-13 FGs - shooting _56.0% (51-91) during C-USA play
Ryan Manuel (#1 - G - 6-4 - So.)
- 15 points
o 13th game with 10+ points
- 10 assists - career high
o SMU season high
- 1st SMU double-double w/ pts+assists since Jeremiah Samarrippas, 1/25/12
- 9-12 FTs - 129 FTMs for the season -3rd all-time at SMU for a sophomore (passed Gene Phillips - 128 in 1968-69)
o 8th game this season with 7+ FTMs
Nick Russell (#12 - G - 6-4 - Jr.)
- 22 points, 5 assists
o 5th game with 20+ points
o 10+ points in 9 straight games
o 10+ points in all but four games this season
- 7 points in first 6:51
Shawn Williams (#2 - F - 6-7 - Jr.)
- 13 points, 5 rebounds
- 4-8 3FGs
- 3PT% last six games = 58.3% (_14-24)
o Dating back to 1/12 vs. Tulane
- Tied the game with a 3FG at the end of regulation to send the game to OT