"Carolina vs Duke"
Why is this rivalry considered the best in sports?
1. Proximity - 8 miles separate the two campuses.
2. Familiarity - breeds contempt. Each school knows each other like the back of their hands.
3. History - this rivalry dates back 100 years.
4. ACC - both teams are in the same league and play each other at least twice a season.
5. National exposure - since the ACC is normally one of the best leagues year-in year-out the whole country is watching.
6. Talent - each year both schools have their share of talented players.
7. Different - Duke is the small, wealthy, private school with students from outside North Carolina. UNC is the larger, public university made up mostly of students from the state of North Carolina.
All of this creates an intensity that is unparalled in sports. I have participated in it as a player and a coach. That 17 minute drive back to Chapel Hill after a big win at Cameron Indoor Stadium is the quickest 17 minutes I ever experienced!
Go Tar Heels!