"Koncak Jersey Retirement"
Today is another special day for SMU athletics as we retire the jersey of one of our greats, Jon Koncak! When I got the job here I knew of the rich basketball tradition, but I thought it was odd to see only one jersey (Jim Krebs) in the rafters of our famous Moody Coliseum. Having played at the University of North Carolina, a place where the great players were honored on a regular basis, I talked to Steve Orsini about it. Obviously, he was all for it! With Steveís background being Notre Dame, he understands honoring past players and coaches. Jon is among the greatest players ever to wear the Mustang uniform.
Jonís accomplishments are impressive and it is easy to see why he is being honored today.
- Olympic Gold Medal winner
- Consensus All - America
- #1 Rebounder in school history
- #3 Scorer in school history
- #2 in Field Goal percentage
- #1 in Blocked Shots
- Four-year player
- Led the program to two NCAA Tournaments
- His last two years his teams won 25 and 23 games respectfully
- NBA First Round Draftee
- Played 10+ years in the NBA
I am glad we are honoring him and look forward to honoring other deserving greats that brought honor to SMU.
Congratulations Jon! Welcome home!